Vinegar is a powerful antiseptic that can fight germs and even relieve you from pain. Vinegar is also effective to soothe the pain and discomfort due to sunburn. It can help to balance the pH (acid or alkalinity) of sunburned skin and help to heal it. Following blog is about uses of vinegar to treat sun burnt skin.
Prolonged sun exposure can lead to suntans which mean damage to the genetic matter in the cells of your skin. Sunburn can even become a cause of skin cancer.
Vinegar not just cures your sun burnt skin but also prevents the risk of blisters due to burns.
What Causes Sunburn?
When your skin is exposed to the sun then the body increases the production of melanin in order to shield it from the harmful ultraviolet radiation. Melanin is the pigment responsible for the color of your skin, hair, and eyes. But if the skin reaches a point where it is not able to produce melanin quickly then the genetic material of the skin is at risk of damage.
In response to this the healthy cells promote inflammation to remove the damaged skin cells. This is called as UV stress response. The new replacement cells are generated by body that can lead to skin cancer.
How fast one can get sunburn is determined by various factors such as skin tone and the time of day. People with fair complexion can get sun burn with just 15 minutes of exposure sun during midday.
After three or four hours of sun exposure, the blood vessels of the skin dilate leading to redness. It may take 24 to 36 hours for the full effect of sunburn to show up and three to five days to heal.
What Can Apple Cider Vinegar Do?
Apple cider vinegar is juice of crushed apples which is then fermented with yeast and then converted to ethanol. Then acetic acid and vinegar is created by fermenting it with bacteria. The amount of acetic acid present in apple cider vinegars can vary from 1 to 11 percent.
You can use apple cider vinegar in various ways to treat sunburn but don’t forget to dilute it before using as it can cause burning otherwise.
Following are the ways to use Apple Cider Vinegar for treating Sun Burn:
- Take apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar in a spray bottle. You can use this spray bottle to mist the affected skin portions. You can repeat this after few hours or whenever you feel the pain.
- You can also use a cotton ball damped with diluted vinegar to apply over sunburned portions. Repeat the procedure as per the requirement.
- Another way is to mix two cups of apple cider vinegar with warm bathwater. Soak in this water for about 15 minutes. This will leave a soothing and relieving on your sunburned skin.
- Take a washcloth and soak it in apple cider vinegar. Cover the sunburned portion of the skin with it for 15 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Do not apply vinegar on the face especially near the eye region and on eyes. Make sure you use only a dabbed cotton ball to apply it on your face.
- In case you experience fever, blisters or chills after sunburn call for medical assistance.
- Don’t use vinegar on pets and small children.